Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Haria Hotel & Farewell to Pasua Families

Tuesday

We decided to spend our last 2 nites in a hotel and so will be moving over to Haria Hotel which is the hotel owned by our friend, Michael. They have guaranteed us hot water – we’ll see!!

We spent today doing home visits which were especially heart wrenching as some of these people may not all be alive by the time I return. We went to 3 families and took rice to all.

We visited Veronica who Lee Ann and I met last summer. She claims, jokingly, to be the oldest person in Moshi! She cares for 2 grandchildren of different mothers/daughters. Sara is 11 and Wili is 3. Veronica is unable to work and therefore has no income. She suffers from asthma and has been without an inhaler for over a month. An inhaler costs about $3USD. I just want to open my wallet to these people. I did give Nie money for inhalers. My mind set is so different in that I think about how inexpensively I can live at home and in Moshi when I return so that I will have more money to help these people.

We also visited Rehema’s family. She was not home at the time but her 4 children were. Rehema runs a laundry service for income. She is also supported by Megan P., a volunteer who Lee Ann became good friends with during her first summer here. Megan was back in Moshi but left before I arrived.

We again went to Pamela’s to say our goodbyes. Rajabu is not eating enough and Pamela is concerned. She says it is a burden but God brought these children to her so she will care for them. Some neighbors were sitting outside and the song; “We are the World” was playing. I came unglued at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment