Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tanzania 2010

Thursday

Today was an office day where we went thru all the pictures of the children and Nie told us their stories. Megan and I then typed them up and I will match the stories and photos and send them to her after I am home as the cost of copying is thru the roof here (50 cents each).

The children’s stories begin to all sound alike – so many have lost one or both parents to AIDS. They live in 1 or 2 room houses. The parent or relative caring for them sells some type of food to earn money. It also happens that the parent has not been tested for HIV out of fear of the diagnosis and then the reaction and stigma of family and community. Although the ARV drugs are free, they must be taken with food or there is an adverse reaction. This is a serious problem because families sometimes get only one meal per day if that.

I made another visit to the gym today for the same workout. Today’s song was “Who Let the Dogs Out”. I don’t even know how to comment on that one!

This evening we went to the Watering Hole with Mona. It is definitely for tourists and is an outdoor theatre. The setting was awesome and something that if mimicked in the US could be very popular. There was a restaurant/bar area and then the seating area for the movie. It was very rustic. We saw the Joneses (with Demi Moore). It is a pretty bizarre movie and I had to remind myself I was in Africa because it was so over the top in its decadence.



No comments:

Post a Comment